Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The "White-Out" Event at Golfsmith NYC

The circumstances that lead me to be at the unveiling of the new Taylormade driver today were pretty interesting. Normally, I don't take the train to work, I get a ride; and even if I do take the train, I take the F train and get off at 63rd St, and then walk to my office on 58th. But I was running a little behind schedule this morning and took the express train and transfered to the M, which lets me off at 53rd street. As I got out of the train and turned the corner, I couldn't help but notice the gigantic net that was being constructed in the middle of 54th street. Not your everyday occurrence.

Turns out that Martin Kaymer and Sergio Garcia were in town to promote the new R11 driver, and that Trump would be MC'ing the event. Pretty cool. The event was called "white-out" because the clubhead of the new driver is colored white; it actually looks pretty out of place.


So I managed to go back on an extended coffee break, and see both Kaymer & Sergio (who is actually a pretty small guy, but can certainly kill the ball for his size) demo the clubs. Also got a chance to demo it myself. Turns out the white head doesn't bother you standing over the ball like I had thought. And I should say, it felt pretty solid hitting it; good contact, no pain in the wrist, just some discomfort. Mind you it was indoors into a net a few feet away, but the swings felt good. Does it mean I'm gonna drop $400 on the R11? Hell no... my R5 still has plenty of pop left in it, and I don't have the $$ to throw away on it. (Go figure, but I have never carried a driver from anyone other than Taylormade. Started with the 250 series Supersteel and moved onto the R5 a few years back.)

Also managed to pick up a couple of giveaway Taylormade hats and a sleeve of Burner golf balls too. Too bad I missed out on some autographs from the pros, but it was still cool to see them. All in all, a pretty solid day for something that I had no idea was going on, had I not stumbled upon it.


No comments:

Post a Comment