Friday, February 4, 2011

New Putter Debut


One of those annoying things that resulted from getting hurt last year was that I did not have a chance to use my new putter out on the course. I had just bought a new Adams Golf A7 Select 64 series putter the day before i messed up my wrist. And now I'm still waiting to break it in.

2010 was not a good putting year for me. This is not to say that all the blame should go on my old putter, my Odyssey White Hot 2-ball; in fact, I doubt any blame should be put on the equipment. At first, I just wasn't hitting that many putts from 10 - 20 feet, which made me start to press a bit. And at a certain point, I stopped feeling confident standing over the ball, which led to too many missed putts inside of 5 feet (1 is too many, but unfortunately, we're not talking about just 1). Not the reputation you wanna make for yourself.

The tipping point for me came in South Carolina where I felt I struck the ball pretty well, but my putting let me down. Couldn't hit anything, not even a 3-footer for eagle on the Par 4, 313 yard 16th hole at Moorland. When I got back from the golf trip, I started futzing around with putters at Golfsmith, trying to get a feel for something I might like; definitely wanted to move away from a mallet-type of putter, although I'm not sure if a 2-ball is technically a mallet or not. I liked the feel of the Adams 64 series the first time I picked it up, and the feeling it gave me on contact was pretty pure. It also helped that it didn't require me to break the bank.



After testing it out for about a month, I decided to pick it up, only for it to sit in my golf bag over the last 6 months. But I'm pretty excited to use it when I get back out there, and I'm hoping my short game may drop a few strokes per round this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment