Thursday, February 3, 2011

Coming back from Injury

I haven't blogged since my Excel class in 2007, but I was inspired by a friend to start up a blog to track my progress with my golf game during the year. This way I can record my rounds and use this blog to remember all the minute details that I'd inevitably forget with my old age, and also to over-analyze when I'm not playing. And on the plus side, maybe this will allow me to stop being a pack-rat and throw out all my old scorecards... or not.

So I guess the best way to start this off is to state where I currently sit with my game, and set some goals for the year. Here we go...

I'm dying to play. 163 days have passed since my last round of golf. Too long... WAY too long. But injuring my wrist playing softball (I know, I'm disgusted with myself) made me shut down my golf season at the end of August. My wrist wouldn't allow me to swing a club without feeling pain when rotating my wrist. I felt like Adam Banks in D-2. I got the wrist X-rayed and everything came back negative; the doctor said the only thing I could do to help it heal was a little R & R. So I shut it down for the rest of the year, hoping to come back fresh and pain-free. Definitely was not an easy thing for me to do.

So it's now been a couple of months since I've really felt any of that same pain rotating my wrist. That's not to say that I don't feel anything. It's hard to describe, but I still feel something there; not pain, but the best way I can describe it is residual pain. I tried hitting a few balls last week at Golfsmith, but felt a little something on contact. Nothing too painful, but it still gave me the feeling that I can't test it out more without worrying that I'm going to cause some damage. So my plan is to wait it out two more months, try and keep off my wrist and continue to let it heal. Not necessarily a bad thing with tax season approaching.

But I'm feeling it... this is the year I'm finally going to break through the hump, and start scoring low. This is the year I'm gonna start playing a little more conservatively and limit the big numbers, start swinging lighter, limiting my errors.

My goal for the year is to shoot consistently in the 70s, with at least 1 round under 75. I know I have the skill to do it, and I know I have the passion to do it. The challenge is going to come from the mental aspect of it, believing in myself that I can do it. That, and hoping that my wrist will allow me to take on my goal... Here's hoping!

72 days til Florida!



No comments:

Post a Comment